Migration is part of complex processes of internationalization, globalization, and social transformation with implications on both people’s lives and society. Migration as a social phenomenon and issue of concern, receiving significant political and public attention, attracts a growing demand for frontier academic research and creates new opportunities for a new generation of migration researchers.
The PhD Summer School in Advanced Migration Studies aims to provide students and early career researchers a fruitful environment for intellectual exchange and mutual learning. Participants will gain from the opportunity to engage with leading international scholars in addressing the state of knowledge and major debates in this vividly evolving field of research. The PhD Summer School offers an intensive, multidisciplinary and participatory programme at an advanced academic level, in which participants will be provided research-focused lectures and interactive seminars on numerous subject areas:
- Interdisciplinary Perspectives in Migration Studies
- Drivers and Dynamics of International Migration
- Migration and Social Transformation
- Integration, Diversity, and Social Cohesion
- Forced Migration and Displacement
- Migration Politics and Policies
- European and Global Migration History
- Migration Law and Citizenship
- Diaspora, Transnationalism, and Identity
- Migration Scenarios
- Research Methodology and Project Management
Participants will also have the opportunity to present their own research at a daily colloquium and receive feedback from scholars and fellow students.
- Prof. Russel King (Sussex University, UK)
- Prof. Roger Zetter (University of Oxford, UK)
- Prof. Leo Lucassen (Leiden University, Netherlands)
- Prof. Hildegard Schneider (Maastricht University, Netherlands)
- Prof. Hein de Haas (University of Amsterdam, Netherlands)
- Prof. Johanna Waters (University of Oxford, UK)
- Dr. Simona Vezzoli (University of Amsterdam, Netherlands)
- Dr. Albert Kraler (ICMPD, Austria)
- Prof. Mathias Czaika (Danube University Krems, Austria)
- Prof. Gudrun Biffl (Danube University Krems, Austria)
- Prof. Ulrike Guerot (Danube University Krems, Austria)
- PD. Dr. Ernst Fürlinger (Danube University Krems, Austria)
- Dr. Thomas Pfeffer (Danube University Krems, Austria)
- Prof. Gerald Steiner (Danube University Krems, Austria)
Participants and Eligibility
The Summer School is mainly designed for PhD students and early career researchers in the field of migration studies. Successful applicants will demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Master’s degree and research interest in migration studies or migration-related field
- Research and/or professional background in migration and/or integration
- Good working knowledge of English
- Availability throughout the entire programme
Date and Location
The PhD Summer School in Advanced Migration Studies will take place between Monday 24th September and Friday 5th October 2018 at the Danube University Krems, Austria. Participants are expected to arrive in Krems on Sunday 23rd September.
Fees and scholarships
Fee: €1 200. The fee includes: all course materials, access to the DUK library, wifi access at DUK, social activities, and coffee breaks on lecture days.
Two scholarships (for applicants from developing countries only) will be funded by the Department for Migration and Globalization (Danube University Krems) on a merit basis. Scholarships will cover the fee and will be awarded to outstanding candidates.
How to apply
Please visit http://www.advanced-migrationstudies.eu/ for more information on the application process. The deadline to apply is June 15th.